In 2014, people over the age of 65 made up 14.5 percent of the U.S. population. That's 46.2 million people. However, by 2040, they're expected to make up almost 22 percent of the population. As our country's population ages, personal emergency response systems (PERS) are growing in popularity.
A typical PERS will allow you to call for help through the touch of a button. Should you have a health emergency, you can press a medical alert pendant that's worn at all times. Then your call is answered by a monitoring center staffed by live attendants who can get help to you.
When shopping for a personal emergency response system, the Federal Trade Commission recommends asking questions in these five areas:
- Monitoring: Does your monitoring service operate around the clock? How do you train the staff that are answering these calls?
- Response: Who do you alert when a call comes in? What is your average response time?
- Costs: What are the initial and ongoing costs? What services and/or features are included with the plan(s) you offer?
- Repairs: What happens if my PERS stops working? Can I get it repaired? Or what happens if it needs to be replaced?
- Compatibility: Can I use this system with a different service if I should move? Will it work in a different state or city?
Comporium Medical Alert offers 24/7 local monitoring through a two-way voice medical alert pendant. Call (803) 327-7233 to speak to a representative or order online today.